Sunday, March 29, 2009

Jo's bush visit






















I was enjoying a walk through the Forest and Bird Reserve on Waiheke Island with my children and took these photos which I thought I'd share so you can see I do have another side to my life outside of kindergarten too. We often get to share what you do at home through the children's portfolios but we don't get to share about ourselves!

The kauri and nikau forest is just so peaceful and everywhere you look there is so much beauty. It is nice to get away from the city and back to nature and important for my children to see the New Zealand bush as it was before we began replacing it with farmland and settlements. As I'm getting older I'm beginning to realize the importance of sharing what makes New Zealand unique with my children and also sharing some of the experiences that have shaped me as I have grown up. I think as I watch my dad loosing his battle with cancer that I am beginning to truly appreciate what it is to share our history with our whaanau so it is not lost.

We had a piwakawaka (fantail) nearly land on us. It was just so cheeky but very beautiful too as it danced around. Unfortunately I kept missing the good close up shots possibly because I was so excited it was not frightened of us.

I found a stick insect that had died that we will look at under the microscope at kindergarten. I wonder if it will look as interesting as the cockroach we looked at last week!

No comments:

Post a Comment